Development opportunities within the Tripos system
Your computer skills should be used often during the course of your studies, including:
- word-processing - build up your typing speed and accuracy and learn to use text formatting features;
- data analysis - develop your knowledge of spreadsheet and data packages such as Excel;
- presentation software - formal presentations may be part of your coursework and may involve using software such as PowerPoint;
- the Internet - web-based research is now an essential skill in almost every field and most departments post supplementary teaching material online;
- email - there are conventions that you should be aware of for using email for academic or professional purposes.
Extra-curricular development opportunities
These include participating in:
- committees or societies (particularly as webmaster or treasurer);
- student newspapers.